Page 8 of 10
- Fast combat support ships (AOE). They were named after US cities.
- Ammunition ships (AE). They were named either after volcanoes, such as Mauna Loa, or words relating to fire and explosions, such as Nitro and Pyro.
- Combat stores ships (AK, AF, and AFS). They were named after stars and other heavenly bodies.
- Minesweepers (MS). They were named for birds, or after 'positive traits', such as USS Adept and USS Dextrous.
- Hospital ships (AH). They were given names related to their function, such as USS Comfort and USS Mercy.
- Fleet tugs (AT) and Harbor Tugs (YT). They were named for Indian tribes.
- Submarines, Nuclear Ballistic Missile (SSBN). The first forty-one were named after historical statesmen considered "Great Americans," such as USS Lafayette, USS George Washington, and USS Benjamin Franklin.