Most people fear kicks and feel they are the most dangerous techniques in Taekwondo. Kicks are powerful, but punches are the most dangerous techniques. In professional karate, there are minimum kicking requirements. If kicks are so deadly, why must professional fighters be forced to kick. To encourage more kicking in Taekwondo sparring competition, more points are awarded for kicks and jump kicks.
Kicks vs. Punches
- Kicks are slower than punches, so they are easier to block.
- Kicks are more powerful than punches.
- Kicks have further to travel to their target than punches so kicks are easier to block.
- Kicks use more energy than punches, so more punches may be thrown for the same amount of energy.
- Punching is a natural instinct for humans, kicking must be learned.
- To kick, you must stand on one leg, which makes you less stable.
Other leg attacks
The shins have long thick bones used to support our body weight so they make excellent weapons. Some martial arts, such as Muay Thai, specialize in using shin kicks.
The knees are pointed so they make excellant weapons when used to attack the aooponent's thigh muscles. Kill the roots and the tree will die.