Second effort is a method of executing techniques such as punches and kicks. It involves executing the technique as normal except that the technique is stopped short of its target and held there for a second. This first effort is used to cause the opponent to block the technique. Usually the opponent will withdraw the blocking arm, or at least relax it, after the initial block. When this occurs, the attacker makes a second effort and plunges the technique to the target. A second effort technique may lack power but it works.
Targets of Techniques
- High Section: Area above the shoulders; includes the clavicle
- Middle Section: Area between the shoulders and the waist
- Low Section: Area below the waist
- Right: Right side of a section
- Center: Center of a section
- Left: Left side of a section