Releases are ways to escape from holds, locks, chokes, etc.
- Use twisting motion with application of a fulcrum.
- Move close to opponent for power.
- Press seized wrist against the base of his thumb.
- Move against weak thumb.
- Use momentum of release for a counter attack.
- Use another technique to divert his attention.
- As with a lever, close in gives more power
- Move in a circle for more power.
- Force applied to weapon gives it more power.
- Same side shoulder grab. Place opposite hand over attacker’s hand, grab it, rotate your shoulder and attacker’s hand forward so attacker’s knife hand is facing up. Push down on attacker’s elbow with your free elbow.
- Same side elbow grab. Grab attacker's hand with opposite hand, and rotate your body causing it to push on the attacker's elbow.
- Bear hug from rear. Grab attacker’s index finger, pull it, and rotate your body in the same direction.