Page 3 of 10
Uses of footwork
Footwork does mean useless bouncing around just for the sake of movement. Footwork is used to advance, retreat, or circle. Every movement should be purposeful, either to
- Position yourself for an attack
- Avoid an attack
- Move put of opponent's range of attack
Footwork allows you to:
- Get in, strike, and get out quickly; not just stay in range and pound it out with opponent until one retreats.
- Increase speed of offensive or defensive techniques.
- Adjust range.
- Close the gap.
- Attack from angles.
- Lure opponents into range.
- Avoid attacks without using arms, which free them to immediately counterattack.