Page 2 of 3
Front Rolling Side Fall (from standing position)
Start from a standing position, with feet shoulder width apart.
- Take one step forward with the left foot.
- Place knife-edge of left hand on the mat between the left foot and right hand with fingers of knife hand pointed back toward the body.
- Turn head to the right looking over the right shoulder. If the head does not remain turned, but tucks into the chest, it may impact the floor.
- Push forward with the right foot, rolling along the outside of the left arm, diagonally across the back, and finish in a right side fall position. Keep the body curled like a ball throughout the roll.
- At the end of the roll, slap the mat with the right hand, kiai, and raise arms and legs to a guarding position.
- Return to a standing position.
- Repeat with right leg forward, rolling into a left side fall.
- Repeat until the movements become smooth and powerful.