Class protocol is learned gradually. Do not expect to remember it all after the first class. Senior students will assist you and explain the steps as you progress in your training. As you earn higher-rank belts, you must know and practice the protocol and set an example for the lower-rank belts. If you do not understand class protocol or have any questions, ask your instructor. All students will STRICTLY adhere to the school's protocol.
The following is a sample protocol. Not all schools follow this bow-in protocol, some have more elaborate procedures with three or more standing or kneeling bows.
Entering the School
- Bow toward the training area when you first enter the dojang. This bow is to show respect for the school.
- Bow to seniors upon first meeting them.
- Respond with sir or ma’am when addressed by a senior. Remove street shoes before entering the training area. Use the shoe storage area, if provided.
- If required, proceed directly to the dressing room to don your uniform. Use provided facilities to store your street clothes.
- Do not leave valuables in the dressing room.
- Next >>