Page 2 of 9
Types of Protection
- Head protector. A padded helmet to protect the head from strikes. The helmet protects the boney parts of the head but not the face, although some helmets do offer protection for the cheekbones.
- Face protector. A metal or plastic cage that protects the face. Many be freestanding or used in conjunction with a head protector.
- Safety glasses. Prescription or plain sports glasses or empty sports frames that protect the eyes from damage.
- Mouthpiece. A rubber device that is placed over the upper or upper and lower teeth. It protects the teeth and holds the jaw in a locked position, enabling it to withstand blows.
- Chest protector. A hard or semi hard device to protect the fighter's front torso from injury.
- Groin cup. A hard plastic cup that protects the groin from attacks.
- Elbow protectors. Pads that cover the elbow to protect it during from strikes and while striking.