Page 2 of 9
A few simple rules to remember are:
- Never trust the bad guys. Bad people lie! No matter how well-dressed, not matter how nice, no matter how apologetic, they all lie. If an assailant wants you to move or go somewhere, even just for a few steps, it is not for your own good. Therefore, no matter what the assailant says, do not move.
- Bad guys always have the advantage. You will most likely be alone, surprised, outnumbered, not dressed for fighting, be weaponless, have your arms full of bags, etc. However, your assailant will be prepared, dressed for occasion, and probably have a weapon or assistants. Therefore, try not to be in places where bad things happen, such as near bars or convenience stores; at the wrong time, such as at three o'clock in the morning; and incapacitated, such as intoxicated.
- Leave. Run away, even if the attacker has a firearm. Bad guys are not the type to practice anything, such as marksmanship, so they are bad shots, especially if you run away erratically. Most people who run away survive. Even if hit, it is usually not a lethal hit.
- Only use empty hand fighting when you do not have a weapon. Fighting with any object is better than empty hand fighting. Even ninjas and samurais carried weapons. To be prepared, obtain a concealed carry permit, be proficient with a firearm, and carry it. Some say that if you have a weapon and expose it, it may be taken from you and used against you. However, this is highly unlikely since you will have a death grip on the weapon. You are much better off with a weapon than without one.
- Everything will happen fast. A fight for you life will not last long. You will either survive or die within a couple of minutes. A burst of adrenalin only lasts about 30 seconds and then you need 3 or 4 minutes to recharge, so finish it quickly.
- Specific defensive sequences will probably not work. You must know a variety of effective techniques and train to use them as the opportunity arises. When defending yourself, fight to annihilate your attacker, not to control him.
- Do not expect any one thing you do to be effective. Do not just try something and wait to see if it works. Hit the assailant with everything you have and do not stop until the attacker is no longer a threat.
- Do not even think about blocks. Just attack until the assailant is destroyed.
- Anytime you get a hold on something, break it.
- Anytime something is in front of your mouth, bite it.