Page 1 of 5
Trigger behaviors are verbal or non-verbal behaviors that usually precede and precipitate a violent outburst. The following is a list of trigger behaviors that tend to precede or escalate confrontations.
- Giving advice "You should not drive, you are too drunk."
- Global labeling "All you women are alike..."
- Criticism "That's not a good parking job, you almost hit my car."
- Blaming "If it weren't for you, I would not have hit the car."
- Abrupt limit setting "That's it, I've had it." "Forget it." "Stop this instant!"
- Threatening "If you don't shut up right now..."
- Using expletives "Dammit!" "Shit!"
- Complaining "The whole town is against me."
- Stonewalling "There is nothing more to talk about."
- Mind reading or assuming "I know what you people think about me."
- Next >>