Page 2 of 5
Tips to help you avoid becoming the victim of a crime
- According to Sensei Anthony Britton, there are eight steps to use in a street confrontation:
- Communicate with confidence
- Don’t make the situation worse
- Environment and exit
- Fire. Yell fire instead of help
- Get away
- Hit hard, fast, and first
- If you are college student, whenever possible, use the campus bus or late-night van services.
- Carry a whistle with you and blow it if you are approached.
- Be aware of your personal "space." Attackers often "test" potential victims by judging how they react, passively or assertively, when their area of comfortable space is invaded.
- Act alert and confident; walk briskly with your head up.
- Avoid conversations with strangers. If you feel you have to answer, do so simply but firmly, and keep walking.