Page 4 of 11
In A Parking Garage
- Do not park next to a van's sliding door.
- Approach your vehicle with your keys already in your hand.
- Always have one hand free when carrying packages and never carry so many packages that your view is obstructed.
- Look around your vehicle for any suspicious activity. If you see someone loitering around your vehicle, walk past until he or she leaves.
- Do a quick scan of your vehicle's interior before unlocking the door. Be sure to look in the back seat.
- Be suspicious of anyone approaching your vehicle, whether passing out leaflets or asking for donations. Always leave the car windows up.
- At night, leave your office or building in the company of others. Do not leave alone after dark. If possible, have someone from your building security escort you, or call for police assistance.
- Keep your doors locked and your windows shut.
- Change from high heels to low flats or even sneakers when leaving work. They are better to run in.
- If you must leave a key with a parking attendant, leave only your vehicle's ignition key. Do not leave anything attached to it with your name and address.