Take photos of, or better yet, videotape your household possessions. You can use any kind of camera; the important thing is to make a record of your valuables. Start at one end of the house and move from room to room taking pictures of the furniture, art, appliances, televisions, VCRs, stereos—anything of value. Then go back and spread other valuables on a bed or floor. This works well for jewelry, clothes, collections, etc. Then move onto the basement and garage for a group shot of other valuables such as tools, garden equipment, sporting equipment, etc.
Have someone help you set up the shots and jot down model and serial numbers as you go. When the photos come back, you can put this pertinent information on the back before storing them. You can orally record the serial numbers as you are videotaping.
You should consider renting a safety-deposit box or have a fire proof safe to keep important documents, receipts and pictures, negatives or videotape of your inventory. Engrave personal property, such as a coffee pot, radio, or calculator, with your driver's license. Keep a written record of all personal valuables, including descriptions and serial numbers. It is evidence that the property is yours.
- Lock your bike! It only takes a moment to steal an unlocked bicycle. A kryptonite U-shaped lock is best. Cables and padlocks can be cut easily.
- Lock your bicycle frame to a bike rack or other secure object. Front wheels can be easily removed.
- Register bicycle with Public Safety.
Lost Digital Camera
Most people are honest; if they find your lost camera, they will want to return it to you. This means you must provide them a way to return it. One way to do this is to:
- Print a document that contains your contact information, any reward, etc. using a large, easy to read font.
- Take a photo of the document and store it on all your memory cards.
- Keep document to use again.
- When you delete photos, always leave this document photo on the card.
Now, when someone finds your camera and looks at the photos on the camera, he or she will see how to contact you.