Page 2 of 17
Why rape is not reported
Some reasons why women do not report rape seem are the fear of:
- Personal questions asked by police investigators
- Humiliating medical examinations
- Testifying in court
- Fear that sexual past will come out in court
- The victim has the burden to prove that the attack was forced, against her will, and that she resisted the attack.
- Justice system's inability to put the criminal away
- Retaliation from assailant or his friends
These are real concerns that must be overcome before rapists may be brought to justice.